Electrical Industries Charity launches events to raise £100,000 for local family

The charity is aiming to raise £100,000 by February 2017 – its largest fundraising challenge. This money will help the family of Christopher Hendrie who died from the rare bile duct cancer, cholangiocarcinoma.

Christopher was a well-respected electrician and on August 25, 2014 he and his wife found out they were expecting their third child. But, on August 28, 2014, he fell sick with a mystery illness. On September 5, 2014, Christopher was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer, cholangiocarcinoma.

Nine weeks later, on October 31, 2014, Christopher passed way in the Mater Hospital, Belfast, following nine weeks of radiation and chemotherapy, with his wife by his side. He was 32-years-old.

The events that will help the Electrical Industries Charity hit the £100,000 target include:

  • Annual Golf Event, sponsored by Dowds Group – This will take place on September 25-26 at Carton House Golf Club.To book your place, telephone Gary Boyd on Brian Somers Travel on 028 9751 1232 or e-mail gary@bryansomers.co.uk
  • Electric Lunch – This popular annual event has been moved to a new time of year and will now take place on Friday, November 25, 2016 at the Ten Square Hotel, Belfast. Register your interest now – e-mail karen@kmpltd.co.uk
  • Mount Kilimanjaro Trek – The Electrical Industries Charity is looking for 25 enthusiastic, passionate and fit trekkers to climb Mount Kilimanjaro from February 4-13, 2017. The fundraising goal is £5,000 per person and this includes travel cost, accommodation in twin-share room in three-star hotels and comfortable camping, and all costs associated with the climb. The minimum age is 16-years-old (when accompanied by a parent or guardian). To participate contact Tessa Ogle on 020 3696 1710 or e-mail tessa.ogle@electricalcharity.org

Nearly half of us will be diagnosed with cancer in our lifetime, and for most it will be our toughest fight. Of the money raised through these events, 10% of the funds will go to Cancer Research UK and the remaining 90% to the Hendrie family.